Friday, July 22, 2011

Tiger and Stevie Split


I remember the first time that I met Steve Williams.  I was working at the World Golf Championships at Harding Parking in San Francisco as a shuttle driver.  We were giving rides to the players and their caddies from the clubhouse to the driving range, which was about a ten minute walk away.  Naturally with the heavy bags and the need for crowd control, we were given access to a private back pathway which only the shuttles were permitted.  Steve was one of my passengers during one of the early rounds, and later on, so was Tiger Woods.

My ride with Stevie was memorable because he had come out before his boss and was heading up to the driving range.  Tiger was still in the clubhouse doing whatever he was doing so Stevie sat in my cart waiting near the driving range.  A celebrity in himself, we all chatted with him to get some insight into the #1 golfer in the world at the time but his answers were pretty standard.  But I did get to ask one question which had always been an interest to me due to my interest and connection to Thailand.  I asked Steve if Tiger could speak Thai, with a Thai mother and all.  He told me that he thought that Tiger could speak a few words, but mostly only with his Mother but was not at all fluent since his mother spoke pretty good English.  Steve came across as a real, down to earth kind of guy that I would trust completely in a dark alley or battle field by my side.  You could also tell he was pretty self confident in himself as well so he will do just fine in his life after Tiger Woods.


I didn't get to speak with Tiger when I drove him to the driving range because he was riding together with the commissioner of the PGA.  Tiger was telling him how he was getting treatment for his back problems back then from someone in Las Vegas.  Soft spoken and respectful, they continued their small talk until we got to the driving range and the calls of "Tiger", "Tiger", "Tiger", started to get louder.  With arrival, Tiger joined Stevie at the driving range and started  to work.  Neither of them will ever remember me, just one of the thousands of golf fans and volunteers that their lives have crossed, but I do remember them.   Unfortunately, they are not working together any more as of this week.

Yes, Tiger and Stevie did win that particular tournament...in sudden death against John Daly, who unfortunately missed a three foot put on the 17th hole in OT.

No comments: